[Geany] looking for these features

Jeff Pohlmeyer yetanothergeek at xxxxx
Wed Feb 28 23:39:51 UTC 2007

> But now it's in SVN and should work, at least a little bit.

Nice work, Enrico - it looks like a great start!

But I'm running into a some problems, along with
a few other comments...

My system is set to plain old-fashioned ASCII, and the
g_get_charset() call in utils_set_up_io_channel() returns
"ANSI_X3.4-1968" but apparently g_io_channel_read_line()
doesn't like this, it still tries to read UTF-8, which
causes it to fail, and cc_iofunc() never finishes reading,
which causes something like an endless loop.  That smells
like a bug in the glib documentation, but at any rate changing
the encoding to NULL for g_io_channel_set_encoding() seems to
solve the problem. ( That's really weird, because the build
commands have always worked fine, I'm not sure why this is
any different. )

I also don't think the g_io_channel_read_line() loop is
quite right, it seems like it should keep looping as long
as it returns G_IO_STATUS_NORMAL or G_IO_STATUS_AGAIN,
and the cc_iofunc() should *always* return false, because
unless you save the contents of the GString somewhere,
it will always get clobbered if the function gets called
more than once.

Finally, this one doesn't appear to cause any problems, but
regarding the write() call in tools_execute_custom_command()
the libc documentation says:

  "Your program should always call write in a loop,
  iterating until all the data is written."

so I think it might be better to make sure all the data
gets written, just in case.

Here is a patch with the above-mentioned changes,
any opinions/feedback are welcome.

Regards,
 - Jeff