[Geany] Status and direction ?

Bo Lorentsen bl at xxxxx
Mon Feb 26 08:54:54 UTC 2007

Alexandre Moreira wrote:

> One of the best ways to have a scripting engine inside a
> plug-in-enabled software would be (IMHO, of course) the X-Chat
> approach, that is: to have the plug-in system powerful enough to
> accommodate the script engine on top of it, so that the scripts would
> be just as powerful as any plug-in and take the burden off the main
> developers.
So, what you say is that a good plugin system will be able to hold a
scripting engine. As it is the same interface ?

I think my worry in this regard is that if this plugin or scripting
system is not a part of the basic and early design, it will simply not
be as powerfull as it need to be.

> As a great side effect, the user that does not intend to use a certain
> script engine could just don't load the plug-in that provides it, and
> multiple independent developers can develop engines that make it
> possible for users to load plug-ins in different languages.
The "pay as you go" idea, so the main core will remain small and snappy,
but it will be extensible.

> I believe it is an all win situation, just would take long to get the
> whole plug-in architecture done before we (as in you, lol) can have
> any script support.
The only "problem" with a plugin architecture that it is more difficult
to master, and will keep non c programmers from contributing.

> PS: Unfortunately I couldn't get Geany to fulfill some very specific
> needs of mine (I have just been using Vim for too long) and I am not a
> user anymore, but I simply love the way and speed that it is being
> developed and watch the mail list and try to test a new release
> version every now and then.
Would a plugin and/or scripting possibility be able to help you making
geany more the tool of your chooice ? If it could help, what level of
integration would it then need ?

/BL