[Geany] Status and direction ?

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at xxxxx
Mon Feb 26 01:23:52 UTC 2007

On 2/25/07, Bo Lorentsen <bl at lue.dk> wrote:
> Enrico Tröger wrote:
>
> > To use projects ;-). Seriously, some of the main features will be
> > project related session restoring and project related build options.
> > But we are at a very ealier stage, so please be patient.
> Ok, that makes sense ...
>
> > Well, I'm not sure at the moment. But the whole plugin interface has
> > to be designed and this won't be done in the near future. Sorry.
> Ok, but I just think that if the plugin or scripting structure are in
> place early in the development of geany, people could start to hack
> scripts that fast and easy make the core geany application do what they
> which it to do.
>
> Some of these scripts may end up in some Geany buildin functions
> (convertet to c) or global scripts, or they my just be local scripts
> making a developer happy :-)
>
> Scripts could control project, editor, compilation and even debugging,
> and the core IDE could still remain quite small, clean and fast loading.
>
> > I don't say: no scripting! But at the moment there are no plans ;-).
> Ok, sounds good ...

I rarely contribute (actually most like never) to this project this
days but, as I have some sort of experience with plug-ins and script
systems, I believe I could help this.

One of the best ways to have a scripting engine inside a
plug-in-enabled software would be (IMHO, of course) the X-Chat
approach, that is: to have the plug-in system powerful enough to
accommodate the script engine on top of it, so that the scripts would
be just as powerful as any plug-in and take the burden off the main
developers.

As a great side effect, the user that does not intend to use a certain
script engine could just don't load the plug-in that provides it, and
multiple independent developers can develop engines that make it
possible for users to load plug-ins in different languages.

I believe it is an all win situation, just would take long to get the
whole plug-in architecture done before we (as in you, lol) can have
any script support.

Just my two cents, feel free to ignore if you don't agree :)

Regards,
Alexandre Moreira.

PS: Unfortunately I couldn't get Geany to fulfill some very specific
needs of mine (I have just been using Vim for too long) and I am not a
user anymore, but I simply love the way and speed that it is being
developed and watch the mail list and try to test a new release
version every now and then.

If this bothers anyone (most importantly, Nick and Enrico) please tell
me and I'll refrain from posting "out of the community" point of view
messages :) I'm just trying to help the way I can.