[Geany] Adding New Languages/Filetypes

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Feb 1 15:32:39 UTC 2007

On 31 Jan 2007 17:18:52 +0000, "P.J.G. Long" <pjgl2 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi,

>        I have just seen the latest Geany, having last seen it about a
> year ago, and am interested in possibly using it as a standard
> editior/ide on a bootable cd/dvd system we are developing for
> students. The ideal is to have a simple GUI which they only have to
> learn once but can cope with the multiple languages they encounter.
> Currently we use Emacs + others, but would like a more IDE looking
> GUI. Geany looks as though it has the workings but I have been trying
> to add other languages/templates etc. Do I understand that this is
> impossible by just adding them to the .conf, and adding filetypes.XXX
> files, e.g. they are not automatically picked up? or am I missing
Adding new filetypes is not that easy at the moment. You have to edit
src/filetypes.c and src/highlighting.c to really add new filetypes.
Furthermore, to get syntax highlighting there must exist a Scintilla
lexer for the filetype and it has to be included in Geany's
copy of Scintilla found in scintilla/.