[Geany] Translation inactive when using Geany through Zero Install

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Dec 12 18:06:47 UTC 2007

On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:18:45 +0100, MilkaJinka
<fullofdaylight at no-log.org> wrote:

> I've made a Zero Install feed of Geany 0.12, which is available at
> this URL : http://konstelacioj.info/0install/feeds/geany.xml (you can
> also download the archive from there).
Cool.
one little thing: could you use the new icon for the feed? It is
already included in the 0.12 sources.

> I've compiled Geany the standard way, in a local folder, then
> compressed it into a tar.bz2 archive. But when I run it the messages
> are untranslated (except for the parts coming from GTK, such as
> "Open", "Save", etc). I can't see from where it comes, since in other
> Zero Install apps with exactly the same structure in the cache, like
> Inkscape, the messages are translated as usual.
In Geany, most paths are hardcoded with full pathname of the
install prefix at configure time. That means, if you configure Geany
normally, the compiled binary will look for language files
at /usr/local/share/locale/... But if you package the installed files
and then an user installs them via zeroinstall, this path is (probably)
not correct anymore. So, Geany won't find the language files. And this
happens not only to the language file but also for filetype definition
files(in /usr/local/share/geany) and other stuff.
The solution is to add binary relocation support to Geany which I'll do
now(read: the next days). This is what Inkscape already does and
therefore it works.