[Geany] New Windows build

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Dec 12 16:03:07 UTC 2007

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007 19:10:04 -0300, "Diego Jacobi"
<jacobidiego at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/12/9, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:>
>
> > > Seems like you dont understand me.
> > Ok, after re-reading I think I got it: you want be able to change
> > the -o option which is appended by Geany to the compiler?
>

> Yes, but is not a big issue.   :D
> If the projectname is "geany" the executable should be "geany.exe",
> but if the file is called main.c, its output seems to be main.exe. In
> one computer can be lots of main.c. Not to mention code-backups. This
> will get into tons of main.exe ones for each project.
> My idea is if the file is on the project path, then this file belong
> to the project, and the output name should be the project name by
> default. Always changeable.
Ok make sense. But making the output filename changeable would require
several changes in the build code. But I try to keep it in mind and
change it sometime.

> > > I see what you say.
> > > Any way, i have never get on the need to have a so uncommon coded
> > > file that i should exactly tell what is the encodding.
> > Just be happy about that ;-). The best way is to always use UTF-8 or
> > UTF-16 for file encodings and everything will work fine.
>

> So, then, what is the reason to not convert all of this encodings to
> UTF-8 automatically? or asking to the user.
We _are_ always converting all input into UTF-8 because the embedded
Scintilla component doesn't work with non-Unicode encodings(well, it
does for some multi-byte encodings IIRC but that doesn't matter). Long
time ago before Geany supported real encoding support, everything was
read in UTF-8 and saved in UTF-8, i.e. you opened an ISO-8859-1 file
with Geany, edited it, saved it and it was an UTF-8 file afterwards.
Very bad ;-).
The problem at the whole topic is to know from which encoding you want
to convert to UTF-8. Because GLib(and its charset conversion
capabilities based on iconv) needs the original charset to convert from
for any conversion actions.

> > > I tried to compile a single file gtked hello world to test geany
> > > as a build environment for gtk, and it fails. Why? becouse i have
> > > to put manually each include path on the gcc line, which are all
> > > already on the INCLUDES path on windows.
> > Sure. But I still think this is not a problem of Geany. GTK has a
> > bunch of files which need to be included and the same for libraries
> > to link against. pkg-config exists and it also works for Windows.
> > gcc -o testapp testapp.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
> > (ok, I'm not sure whether the backticks work on Windows)
>

> Nop, doesn't work. Only on MSYS. But having MSYS just for running
Hmm, sad. It would have done things really easy.

> The environ is "INCLUDE"  and the libs environ is "LIB", there is also
> "GTK_BASEPATH".
> Is used by GTK and other tools/libs for windows, like wxWindows.
>
> But with these way, geany doesn't need to have an includes-dialog.
Hmm, but only on Windows and only if these variables are set. I think
this is just to special for GTK and maybe wxWindows.

> Can they be explicitly declared on the source code?
Not sure what you mean.