[Geany] New Windows build

Diego Jacobi jacobidiego at xxxxx
Sun Dec 9 22:10:04 UTC 2007

2007/12/9, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:>

> > Seems like you dont understand me.
> Ok, after re-reading I think I got it: you want be able to change the
> -o option which is appended by Geany to the compiler?

Yes, but is not a big issue.   :D
If the projectname is "geany" the executable should be "geany.exe", but if
the file is called main.c, its output seems to be main.exe. In one computer
can be lots of main.c. Not to mention code-backups. This will get into tons
of main.exe ones for each project.
My idea is if the file is on the project path, then this file belong to the
project, and the output name should be the project name by default. Always
changeable.

> > I see what you say.
> > Any way, i have never get on the need to have a so uncommon coded
> > file that i should exactly tell what is the encodding.
> Just be happy about that ;-). The best way is to always use UTF-8 or
> UTF-16 for file encodings and everything will work fine.

So, then, what is the reason to not convert all of this encodings to UTF-8
automatically? or asking to the user.

> > I tried to compile a single file gtked hello world to test geany as a
> > build environment for gtk, and it fails. Why? becouse i have to put
> > manually each include path on the gcc line, which are all already on
> > the INCLUDES path on windows.
> Sure. But I still think this is not a problem of Geany. GTK has a bunch
> of files which need to be included and the same for libraries to link
> against. pkg-config exists and it also works for Windows.
> gcc -o testapp testapp.c `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0`
> (ok, I'm not sure whether the backticks work on Windows)

Nop, doesn't work. Only on MSYS. But having MSYS just for running backticks.
Will kill the light behavior of geany.

> The process should be:
> > Read the INCLUDES environ.
> > Split with ";" (windows separator).
> > Append -I to each path.
> > Join the list of paths.
> > Replace %I for the join list of paths.
> > The same for libs.
> This could be done but is INCLUDES a common used environment variable
> or is it just set by the GTK installer? How is the one for the libs
> called?
> And there might be another problem: splitting the list and building a
> command line for gcc with each entry might fail because there a limits
> for the length of a command line. Maybe this doesn't matter because the
> limits are high enough.
>
> Patches are welcome. Anyway, IMO a better way could be to write a
> Makefile generator plugin or something like this.

The environ is "INCLUDE"  and the libs environ is "LIB", there is also
"GTK_BASEPATH".
Is used by GTK and other tools/libs for windows, like wxWindows.

But with these way, geany doesn't need to have an includes-dialog.
I'm not sure about libs.
Can they be explicitly declared on the source code?
If so, then geany can just say how with an example in a messagebox.

Regards.