[Geany] default keybindings, revisited

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Fri Aug 31 22:42:18 UTC 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:45:21 -0400, "John Gabriele" <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 8/31/07, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 13:46:31 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> > <jmg3000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > It seems to me that GUI programs usually use the Shift key, with
> > > either Ctrl or Alt, whereas terminal-based programs only use the
> > > Shift key to reach various non-alphanumeric symbols.
> > >
> > > For example, Emacs most often uses pairs of keys to do
> > > complimentary
> >
> > Did I ever mention Geany != Emacs? ;-).
>
> Right. For the purposes of the discussion though, I was just using it
> as an example of a system that does key combos differently than Geany.
Sure, this was just a joke by me ;-).

> > > Using only Ctrl-foo and Ctrl-Alt-foo key combos is pretty
> > > self-consistent (note, Emacs also uses Alt-foo keys, which for
> > > Geany are only used for manipulating GUI elements). And it's
> > > pretty easy to remember too, since you never have to consider,
> > > "was that capital or lowercase?"
> > >
> > > Using Shift along with various Ctrl-foo and Alt-foo keys is also
> > > pretty self-consistent. Though, one problem I have is, every time
> > > I try to hit Shift-Ctrl-r, I keep getting Ctrl-R instead! ;)
> >
> > Because it is the same. I don't understand the problem. How could
> > Ctrl-Shift-r and Ctrl-R be anything different?
>
> Whoops. Failed attempt at me trying to make a joke. Also, maybe I
> should start putting a hyphen in my smilies. :) err... :-)
Hehe, sorry. I really didn't see the smiley at the end and took this
seriously. I need more sleep.

> > And as an Emacs user you should be used to remember a lot of strange
> > key combos ;-).  (SCNR)
>
> Hardy har har. :-) Actually, since Emacs doesn't use the Shift key to
> change commands, the key combos seem pretty simple. The only extra
> complication you get with Emacs is prefix key combos, which does a
> pretty good job of sectioning off various commands.
The prefix key combos are what I meant. Sure they separate different
groups of actions but you have to type one key combo more than usual
(usual outside of the Emacs world ;-)). Just irritating for me
personally.