[Geany] default keybindings, revisited

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Aug 31 10:56:18 UTC 2007

On 08/30/2007 06:46:31 PM, John Gabriele wrote:
> On 8/30/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > I noticed in the Balsa email client they used Ctrl-Alt-F for one
> > shortcut - are there any problems with using Ctrl-Alt-[a-z0-9]? I
> know
> > that Ctrl-Alt-F[1-12] are taken for consoles. If there aren't any
> > important conflicts with window managers, perhaps we should use
> Ctrl-
> > Alt instead of Alt-Shift for some bindings - Alt-Shift seems more
> > difficult to hold down because they are diagonally separated.
> >

> It seems to me that GUI programs usually use the Shift key, with
> either Ctrl or Alt, whereas terminal-based programs only use the
> Shift
> key to reach various non-alphanumeric symbols.

Can you give some examples of Alt-Shift usage - it just seems like an
awkward combination, and I thought it would be the least preferable
combination of two out of Ctrl, Alt, Shift.

> [...]
> Though, one problem I have is, every time I
> try to hit Shift-Ctrl-r, I keep getting Ctrl-R instead! ;)

What do you mean - that the Shift key wasn't held down enough, or that
Ctrl-Shift keybindings just don't work for some reason?

> If you start having Ctrl-Alt-foo keys in Geany, you begin to get a
> lot
> of keys to remember ("Can't remember that key combo. Was it Ctrl-L?
> Shift-Ctrl-L? Shift-Alt-L? Ctrl-Alt-L? How about Shift-Ctrl-Alt-L?").

I was saying to replace all the Shift-Alt-X bindings with Ctrl-Alt-X,
just because on most keyboards it seems easier to type.

Perhaps we can make a pattern to the keybindings - e.g. at the moment
all bar one of the Alt-Shift bindings is for selecting something.

Regards,
Nick