[Geany] inserting unicode characters

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Mon Aug 27 17:02:10 UTC 2007

On 8/27/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 08/27/2007 12:02:35 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:32:53 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> > <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm using an american keyboard with Geany, but have recently been
> > > wanting to type in some unicode characters.
> > >
> > > [...]
> > > After a bit of searching, I found that the common way to get
> > unicode
> > > characters (with Gnome anyway) is to hit Shift-Ctrl-U, release,
> > then
> > > type in the hex digits representing the unicode code point, then
> > hit
> > > Enter. This works nicely on Gedit, and in Firefox too: for example:
> > è,
> > > é, ê.
> > As I told you I didn't forget about this but did some testing. And
> > finally, the solution so very simple ;-).
> > Just unbind Ctrl-Shift-U in the preferences editor, restart Geany and
> > you are done. The restart is necessary because of the menu item
> > mnemonics which are set by default. But after the restart of Geany,
> > Ctrl-Shift-U should work.
> >
> > Just press Ctrl-Shift-u, then keep Ctrl and Shift pressed down and
> > type
> > u264d and hit Return.
> >
> I find on my system (Fedora 5, Xfce 4.2, Gtk 2.8, LANG=en_US.UTF-8) I
> don't need to type ctrl-shift-u, just hold ctrl-shift whilst typing the
> unicode numbers.
> Also, what does the d mean in u264d - for me I can press any key, e.g.
> right arrow after typing the numbers and the unicode char is inserted.
> If I type 'd' then the unicode char followed by 'd' is inserted.
>
> I just thought - that trailing d is for decimal, right ;-)

The d is part of the hex number specifying the code point. On Ubuntu
with Gnome, the unicode character 0x264d it gives me is ♍.

I'm not familiar with Xfce, but holding down Shift-Ctrl and then just
typing hex digits seems odd to me, since it wastes an awful lot of
available key combos (ex.
Shift-Ctrl-{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,a,b,c,d,e,f}).

Also, the nice thing about the Gnome way is that, since you don't have
to hold down the Shift and Ctrl keys, it frees up your fingers to type
the hex number.

---John