[Geany] inserting unicode characters

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Mon Aug 27 16:25:11 UTC 2007

On 08/27/2007 12:02:35 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:32:53 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm using an american keyboard with Geany, but have recently been
> > wanting to type in some unicode characters.
> >
> > [...]
> > After a bit of searching, I found that the common way to get
> unicode
> > characters (with Gnome anyway) is to hit Shift-Ctrl-U, release,
> then
> > type in the hex digits representing the unicode code point, then
> hit
> > Enter. This works nicely on Gedit, and in Firefox too: for example:
> è,
> > é, ê.
> As I told you I didn't forget about this but did some testing. And
> finally, the solution so very simple ;-).
> Just unbind Ctrl-Shift-U in the preferences editor, restart Geany and
> you are done. The restart is necessary because of the menu item
> mnemonics which are set by default. But after the restart of Geany,
> Ctrl-Shift-U should work.
>
> Just press Ctrl-Shift-u, then keep Ctrl and Shift pressed down and
> type
> u264d and hit Return.

I find on my system (Fedora 5, Xfce 4.2, Gtk 2.8, LANG=en_US.UTF-8) I
don't need to type ctrl-shift-u, just hold ctrl-shift whilst typing the
unicode numbers.
Also, what does the d mean in u264d - for me I can press any key, e.g.
right arrow after typing the numbers and the unicode char is inserted.
If I type 'd' then the unicode char followed by 'd' is inserted.

I just thought - that trailing d is for decimal, right ;-)

Regards,
Nick