[Geany] the fine manual

John Gabriele jmg3000 at xxxxx
Thu Aug 2 16:24:46 UTC 2007

On 8/2/07, Nick Treleaven <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 08/01/2007 05:13:27 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:57:40 -0400, "John Gabriele"
> > <jmg3000 at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >[snip]
> > >
> > > Fast forward to today, I went ahead and manually converted the
> > manual
> > > to reST. Here's the result:
>
> Did it take long to convert? Seems like a lot of work.

Yeah, took a good part of a day. A lot of copying/pasting,
reformatting, proofing, and using the Shift-Alt-P Ctrl-1 key combo
(Ctrl-1 mapped to ``fmt -w72``). After doing a little bit, I guess I
got carried away. I think it's because I'm too lazy to write in
docbook. ;)

> > > [snip]
> > What do you think?
> >
> I think it looks good, I don't mind docbook, but it would be easier to
> write reST. But is it equivalent - can it split up the generated HTML
> into one page per chapter/per section etc?

It doesn't look like the stock ``rst2html`` command will currently do that.

> Also can it generate PDFs?

I think, currently, you need to get to pdf via LaTeX::

    $ rst2latex geany.txt geany.tex
    $ pdflatex geany.tex

I had to remove a unicode arrow character from geany.txt (now updated)
to get that to work. Results are here:
http://www.milliwatt-software.com/jmg/temp/geany.pdf

Andreas wrote:
> I like the all-in-one page documentation. It's easier for downloading...

Me too. Also, navigation works well, since you can click on all the
headings and be brought back up to the table of contents.

---John