[Geany] remote source editing

Thomas Stover thomas at xxxxx
Sat Apr 28 17:11:32 UTC 2007

>From: "Alexandre Moreira" <alexandream at gmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Geany] remote source editing
>
>Is it really needed to execute the commands as they are in the remote
>system? If there are no version problems between your local machine
>and the remote one, I think you would be better off with a sshfs or
>some other means for mounting remotely available directories to your
>directory tree and SSHing to the remote host inside geany terminal
>window.
>
>Hope this helps,
>Alexandre Moreira.

Hmm.. not sure that I'm following you all the way on that one. Lets say
you have box A setup with all the crazy details for development of a
project. Then you find yourself at a different location able to sit down
at box B for a few hours to work. All I'm saying is that you can just
install geany on box B also, use sshfs to mount the remote directory, in
the VTE ssh into the console of the remote machine, and use a script as
described to remotely run your make commands. The answer to your
question "Is it really needed to execute the commands as they are in the
remote system?", is often yes. The most simple example would be if box B
did not have the required development tools installed on it. Sure I can
type make [target] inside my ssh session in the VTE to get make to run
over there, but when you do a make from geany's toolbar it highlights
the build output and lets you click on the lines to jump to errors.