[Geany] remote source editing

Thomas Stover thomas at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 18:54:23 UTC 2007

Just thought I would share this with the list. Through out the week I
work from several different places, and I find myself using every trick
in the book to get this done. I use svn to keep local and offline copies
of work updated, but I also remotely connect to computers to work on
source trees. When I do that on a LAN, I have just been (since I found
geany) remotely running geany with X forwarding. This of course sucks
over the internet. After trying to go back to mc over ssh for this I
found geany has ruined me. :) So I came up with this technique for that
situation:
-locally run geany
-configure promtless ssh logins via ssh-agent or passwordless keypair
-mount remote directory with sshfs
-inside the geany terminal window ssh to the remote host
-change geany tools preferences for things like make from /usr/bin/make
to a script similar to this:
   #!/bin/bash
   ssh $(REMOTE) "cd $(REMOTE_WORKING_DIR); make $(1)"

Any thoughts?