[Geany] remote source editing

Alexandre Moreira alexandream at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 19:38:16 UTC 2007

On 4/27/07, Thomas Stover <thomas at wsinnovations.com> wrote:
> Just thought I would share this with the list. Through out the week I
> work from several different places, and I find myself using every trick
> in the book to get this done. I use svn to keep local and offline copies
> of work updated, but I also remotely connect to computers to work on
> source trees. When I do that on a LAN, I have just been (since I found
> geany) remotely running geany with X forwarding. This of course sucks
> over the internet. After trying to go back to mc over ssh for this I
> found geany has ruined me. :) So I came up with this technique for that
> situation:
> -locally run geany
> -configure promtless ssh logins via ssh-agent or passwordless keypair
> -mount remote directory with sshfs
> -inside the geany terminal window ssh to the remote host
> -change geany tools preferences for things like make from /usr/bin/make
> to a script similar to this:

>    #!/bin/bash
>    ssh $(REMOTE) "cd $(REMOTE_WORKING_DIR); make $(1)"
>
> Any thoughts?

Is it really needed to execute the commands as they are in the remote
system? If there are no version problems between your local machine
and the remote one, I think you would be better off with a sshfs or
some other means for mounting remotely available directories to your
directory tree and SSHing to the remote host inside geany terminal
window.

Hope this helps,
Alexandre Moreira.