[Geany] 'Persistent undo'...

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Apr 27 10:45:24 UTC 2007

On 04/27/2007 11:19:36 AM, Harold Aling wrote:
> Jean-Philippe wrote:
>> Hello.
>> Currently geany keeps the changes when you keep the file open after
>> saving it. I think this is enough.
>>
>> If you really need these kind of feature why don't you try a version
>> control system like svn ?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jean-Philippe.
>>
> SVN is very useful in projects, but a bit clumsy with configuration
> files, etc.
>
> Another real-life 'persistant history' example:
> When restoring a session in Firefox, all the tabs are restored,
> including their history. Closing a tab in Firefox and undoing that
> action not only reopens the closed tab, but also restores it's
> navigation history...
>
> It seems that there is a reasonable demand for such a feature in
> other programs. Hopefully I'm not alone in wishing for such an
> extension for Geany: "true session save/restore possibility"...

I think it's an interesting idea, but I don't think it belongs in the
core of Geany. Saving the history to a session file might require some
changes to Scintilla, but [in theory] there could be a plugin that
keeps documents open when the tabs are closed, and reattaches them when
reopening the matching file (as long as Geany isn't closed). It would
bulk up the memory usage though.

Regards,
Nick