[Geany] Questions regarding characterset encoding

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Jul 18 15:53:26 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 17:51:53 +0200, Enrico Tröger
<enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:31:11 +0200, Tim Tassonis <timtas at cubic.ch>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi Enrico
> >
> > I have noticed that support for different characterset encodings is
> > now present in geany and so I now was able to fully switch to geany
> > for my programming stuff.
> >
> > Thanks a lot again for this really great program.
> >
> > However, I have one remaining questions:
> >
> > If have have a file _not_ containing any non-asci characters and
> > open it in geany, it will always assume UTF-8 encoding, regardless
> > of my default characterset setting in geany. Example, hello.c:
> You are right.
> When loading a file, Geany tests it whether it is UTF-8 compatible and
> this is true if there are no non-ascii characters.
>
> I need a way to detect the encoding better, in the meantime Geany will
> detect such files always as UTF-8.
Furthermore, Geany detects a file saved as ISO-8859-15 at loading at
ISO-8859-1. But since this character sets are mostly equal, there
should not be a problem. The reason for this is, Geany tries to convert
the text into each known encoding and when the conversion was
successful, Geany takes this encoding. So, it tries first the encoding
ISO-8859-1 and tries to convert the text in the file which is
ISO-8859-15. This succeeds because the encodings are quite equal.

I don't like this way, but it's the best at the moment.
Anjuta and gedit do it similar(more exactly: we use the same code base
for encodings) and they should behave equal with different encodings.