[Geany] Questions regarding characterset encoding

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Jul 17 15:51:53 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:31:11 +0200, Tim Tassonis <timtas at cubic.ch>
wrote:

> Hi Enrico
>
> I have noticed that support for different characterset encodings is
> now present in geany and so I now was able to fully switch to geany
> for my programming stuff.
>
> Thanks a lot again for this really great program.
>
> However, I have one remaining questions:
>
> If have have a file _not_ containing any non-asci characters and open
> it in geany, it will always assume UTF-8 encoding, regardless of my
> default characterset setting in geany. Example, hello.c:
You are right.
When loading a file, Geany tests it whether it is UTF-8 compatible and
this is true if there are no non-ascii characters.

I need a way to detect the encoding better, in the meantime Geany will
detect such files always as UTF-8.