[Geany] Removed old FIFO code

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Aug 30 18:44:45 UTC 2006

Hi folks,

good news today:

I just removed the code for handling the FIFO to detect a running
instance. It never worked as it should and as I imagined it.

Now, we use Unix Domain Sockets. So, the annoying dialog after a crash
isn't necessary anymore. Geany detects whether an instance is running
and if not, it starts a new one. If an instance is running, it opens
all files specified on the command line within this instance,
deiconifies the window and gets the focus to the running instance.

There is no real difference in using Geany, except that it works fine
now ;-). Anyway and as usual, there might be some bugs.

The command line argument to use new instances every time changed from
-p (--no-pipe) to
-s (--no-socket).
The socket file "geany_socket" will be created (at least on non-Windows
systems) in your configuration directory.

There is one side effect in changing the code which is actually a big
advantage:
these sockets are also available under Windows through the
Mutex system. (The code exists, but isn't tested yet. It is copied from
the Sylpheed sources, thanks)
Anyway, I guess it won't work at the moment and maybe
it doesn't even compile on Windows. Sorry for that, I don't have a box
with a running Windows at the moment.

Check out r773!