[Geany-i18n] Way to update pt_BR translation (this applies to other languages as well...)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sun May 17 19:09:32 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am 17.05.2015 um 20:59 schrieb Felipe Braga:
> I understood a thing: the github po file
> (https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/po/pt_BR.po) seems
> outdated -> the line numbers for the string in the code don't
> correspond to the entries in the .po file (as in po/pt_BR.po). That
> seems is very strange to me, as the references to line numbers in the
> code from http://i18n.geany.org/pt_BR.po corresponds to the code in
> https://github.com/geany/geany (the po/ there is outdated, but there
> are recent commits involving the files...)

The po file inside git master is only updated right in front of an
upcoming release aka "string freeze" or if there is an update done.
Everything else would cause a to high noise as changing only few lines
inside code will cause an patchset of maybe 500 lines per translation. A
solution like transiflex is not yet in place.

The po file which can be downloaded from i18n.geany.org is generated on
daily basis based on github's master branch and therefore is up to date.
But: As you need to compile latest version of po file together with
corresponding sources of Geany to test your translations I recommend to
clone the master tree of Geany and build it from sources. Running ./waf
updatepo or make update-po (inside po folder) will update the
translations catalogue as well as all po files.

If you have updated the po-file please send either a PR via github or
the complete po-file to either me directly or the i18n mailing list.

Also: There have been updates on pt translation. Maybe you can use it
for updating pt_BR translation.

Cheers,
Frank