[Geany-Devel] Building geany using msys2 on Windows 10

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Sep 12 07:53:06 UTC 2021

On Sun, 12 Sept 2021 at 15:11, Doug Henderson <djndnbvg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Sept 2021 at 07:08, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
> >
> > On 10.09.21 00:05, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > > Hi,

> > > Anyway, to get back to Doug's question:
> > > I'm going to prepare Windows installers for the current master on the
> > > weekend and so have some 1.38 beta or preview.
> >
> > The test installers are ready:
> >
> > https://download.geany.org/snapshots/geany-1.38beta1_setup.exe
> > https://download.geany.org/snapshots/geany-plugins-1.38beta1_setup.exe
>
> > Regards,
> > Enrico
>
> Thanks. I downloaded and installed both of these. So far they have
> worked flawlessly, although I have not done much actual work, instead,
> just re-exploring the interface and preferences.
> I have a few observations, questions and suggestions.
>
> - the slow project loading of 1.37.1 is corrected.
>
> - the visual style of scrollbars on the edit window is different. The
> scrollbars are now about half the width as formerly. The previous
> scrollbars were about twice as wide, making it much easier to grab the
> thumb. The Win10 style is a narrow scrollbar that gets wider when you
> hover over them. Is it possible to have a choice, or at least an OS
> style scrollbar?

I assume you mean the scrollbars on the edit window, those are drawn
by the Scintilla editing widget Geany uses, and AFAICT its API gives
no way of setting that width.

> - The help button does not work on any preference page. It reports, e.g.:
>   21:16:09: Failed to open URI "C:/Program
> Files/Geany/share/doc/geany/html/index.html#various-preferences": The
> system cannot find the file specified.
>  And in the Debug Messages:
>  21:16:14: Geany WARNING    : ShellExecute failed opening "C:/Program
> Files/Geany/share/doc/geany/html/index.html#various-preferences" (code
> 2): The system cannot find the file specified.

Did you check if the file exists?  Or has been installed to a
different location?

>   The menu item "Help->help" and pressing "F1" correctly open the help
> file in Firefox Nightly at
>   "file:///C:/Program%20Files/Geany/share/doc/geany/html/index.html"

Not sure why this uses a different method to the other help, although
technically the other is better as it uses the native open that will
choose the default browser without having to have the
Preferences->Tools->Browser (default "firefox" as you found) setting
configured.

> - The help file does not declare its character encoding so the 3rd
> non-blank line contains "Authors: Enrico Tröger".

The 4 th line of the help file should be:

so it should open as UTF-8, maybe something went wrong in the building?

> - The menu item "Tools->Load Tags File..." uses a non-windows style
> file search dialog.

You can make an issue for that, but probably somebody will have to
contribute the code for it.

> - The menu item "Help->Debug Messages" opens a very small window.
> Opening the window with a size of relative to the main geany window,
> or perhaps safer, relative to the screen size would be nice. Some
> messages do not have the timestamp prefix. Many debug messages have
> the same time stamp, so adding the milliseconds value would be
> helpful.

Request a feature addition, although I think the timestamp is added by
Glib, so we might not be able to control it.

> - The keybinding for entering unicode characters is documented, but
> the key combo Ctrl-Shift-u does not seem to work at all in 1.38beta1.
> The ability to enter unicode characters is almost a requirement for
> me.
>
> - Geany on Win10 can be crashed every time by opening the open file
> dialog, shift-right-click on a filename and selecting "Copy as path".

Not sure what "copy as path" is, but its not something Geany supplies
or uses, presumably its part of the native dialog, so Geany has no
control over it.

> Shortly after canceling the open file dialog, geany will crash. There
> are two entries in the Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application.
> The following info from the Error entry (incomplete):
>
> Faulting application name: geany.exe, version: 1.38.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
> Faulting module name: libcairo-2.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
> Exception code: 0xc0000005
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000050f63
> Faulting application name: geany.exe, version: 1.38.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
> Faulting module name: libcairo-2.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
> Exception code: 0xc0000005
> Fault offset: 0x0000000000050f63
>
> indicates the fault occured in libcairo-2.dll. The circumstances
> suggest that the clipboard buffer for the copied file path is
> incorrectly allocated or incorrectly identified as shared public or
> some such thing, so that cairo attempts to free a memory block owned
> by the clipboard. Does geany provide a callback to libcairo which
> allocates memory?

There does not appear to be any Geany code, its in Cairo dll.

But if it is a callback while a dialog is in progress that calls Geany
then its potentially a problem, Geany is not reentrant, its expecting
to wait for the dialog reply, not do anything else until thats
complete.

> If this is a libcairo error, it should be occurring
> for every GTK3 app on windows with a file opener dialog.

Its possible that happens :-) did you google?