[Geany-Devel] Building geany using msys2 on Windows 10

Doug Henderson djndnbvg at xxxxx
Sun Sep 12 05:10:49 UTC 2021

On Sat, 11 Sept 2021 at 07:08, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:

> On 10.09.21 00:05, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> > Hi,

> > On 09.09.21 06:31, Lex Trotman wrote:
> >> Not sure who posted the wiki or how relevant it is (its a wiki after

> > Anyway, to get back to Doug's question:
> > I'm going to prepare Windows installers for the current master on the
> > weekend and so have some 1.38 beta or preview.
>
> The test installers are ready:
>
> https://download.geany.org/snapshots/geany-1.38beta1_setup.exe
> https://download.geany.org/snapshots/geany-plugins-1.38beta1_setup.exe

> Regards,
> Enrico

Thanks. I downloaded and installed both of these. So far they have
worked flawlessly, although I have not done much actual work, instead,
just re-exploring the interface and preferences.
I have a few observations, questions and suggestions.

- the slow project loading of 1.37.1 is corrected.

- the visual style of scrollbars on the edit window is different. The
scrollbars are now about half the width as formerly. The previous
scrollbars were about twice as wide, making it much easier to grab the
thumb. The Win10 style is a narrow scrollbar that gets wider when you
hover over them. Is it possible to have a choice, or at least an OS
style scrollbar?

- The help button does not work on any preference page. It reports, e.g.:
  21:16:09: Failed to open URI "C:/Program
Files/Geany/share/doc/geany/html/index.html#various-preferences": The
system cannot find the file specified.
 And in the Debug Messages:
 21:16:14: Geany WARNING    : ShellExecute failed opening "C:/Program
Files/Geany/share/doc/geany/html/index.html#various-preferences" (code
2): The system cannot find the file specified.
  The menu item "Help->help" and pressing "F1" correctly open the help
file in Firefox Nightly at
  "file:///C:/Program%20Files/Geany/share/doc/geany/html/index.html"

- The help file does not declare its character encoding so the 3rd
non-blank line contains "Authors: Enrico Tröger".

- The menu item "Tools->Load Tags File..." uses a non-windows style
file search dialog.

- The menu item "Help->Debug Messages" opens a very small window.
Opening the window with a size of relative to the main geany window,
or perhaps safer, relative to the screen size would be nice. Some
messages do not have the timestamp prefix. Many debug messages have
the same time stamp, so adding the milliseconds value would be
helpful.

- The keybinding for entering unicode characters is documented, but
the key combo Ctrl-Shift-u does not seem to work at all in 1.38beta1.
The ability to enter unicode characters is almost a requirement for
me.

- Geany on Win10 can be crashed every time by opening the open file
dialog, shift-right-click on a filename and selecting "Copy as path".
Shortly after canceling the open file dialog, geany will crash. There
are two entries in the Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Application.
The following info from the Error entry (incomplete):

Faulting application name: geany.exe, version: 1.38.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: libcairo-2.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000050f63
Faulting application name: geany.exe, version: 1.38.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: libcairo-2.dll, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000050f63

indicates the fault occured in libcairo-2.dll. The circumstances
suggest that the clipboard buffer for the copied file path is
incorrectly allocated or incorrectly identified as shared public or
some such thing, so that cairo attempts to free a memory block owned
by the clipboard. Does geany provide a callback to libcairo which
allocates memory? If this is a libcairo error, it should be occurring
for every GTK3 app on windows with a file opener dialog. In 2018,I
opened the issue "Win10 crash after "Copy as Path" from open file
dialog #1942" for geany 1.33
https://github.com/geany/geany/issues/1942 which seems to be  the same
problem.

I plan to continue to use this version of geany as my main editor/IDE.

Thanks,
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com