[Geany-Devel] Building geany using msys2 on Windows 10

Doug Henderson djndnbvg at xxxxx
Thu Sep 9 04:04:25 UTC 2021

The slow loading of projects in geany 1.37.1 and the missing plugins
installer for 1.37.1 has prevented me from upgrading, and a bug that
may be related to file dialogs, has prompted me to try building geany
from source.

 I have been following the instructions on the wiki page "Build Geany
on Windows (using MSYS2)" at https://wiki.geany.org/howtos/win32/msys2
to set up and build on a Windows 10 Pro laptop with Msys2 and Mingw64
installed. I have used msys2/mingw64 for several years and cygwin for
many years, as well as several *nix systems in the past.

In the "GTK+3 compilation" section, it appears that the required msys2
package list has evolved since the wiki page was last updated about 6
years ago. When I try to run "autoconfig.sh" to build ./configure, the
following lines in "configure.ac":

# GTK/GLib/GIO checks
gtk_modules="gtk+-3.0 >= 3.0 glib-2.0 >= 2.32"
gtk_modules_private="gio-2.0 >= 2.32 gmodule-no-export-2.0"
PKG_CHECK_MODULES([GTK], [$gtk_modules $gtk_modules_private])

appear to cause a failure about missing packages. I could not find a
"gmodule-no-export" package.

Can someone suggest how to correct this snippet of code in the wiki
page to work now, or how to make a modified version of
"cross-build-mingw.sh" which will work for buildinig on mingw on a
Windows machine.

Thanks,
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com