[Geany-Devel] Colour scheme woes

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sun Mar 22 04:03:29 UTC 2020

On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 at 13:43, Austin Green <austin.green at orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> Thanks for responding, Lex.
>
> On Sun, 22 Mar 2020 12:47:56 +1000
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm calling it Slick; I've created a slick.conf file, copied from the default.conf,
>
> > Neither grep nor I can find a file called default.conf??????
>
> Ooops, sorry, memory not working; it's been a while.  :)  I must have copied it from some other colorschemes/*.conf, don't remember which.
>
> > Does the lexer for whatever filetype the file is (you didn't say what
> > type AFAICT) distinguish function names as a separate style (for eg C
> > and C++ do not)?
>
> Ahah, light dawns; I was assuming that the lexer would do just that.  So now at least I know what needs fixing, though I suspect the lexer might be more daunting than the colour schemes.   :-(   But I'll give it a look at least!

These are syntax highlighters, they only distinguish syntax, not
semantics or symbols.

It would therefore only be possible if functions are _syntactically_
distinguishable from any other names, but thats not the case in most
languages (including C and C++).

> > > The documentation doesn't say (anywhere I can see) in which order the multiple .conf files are processed, or which overrides what.
>
> > Nothing in the default .confs overrides anything else.
>
> In the filetypes.common there is a section with this comment:
>         [named_styles]
>         # This is the Default "built-in" color scheme
> which led me to believe that these were the default values that could be redefined by other .conf files; presumably then it must mean only that it is defining the style called "Default", or the one that will be used in the absence of any file type match.

Yes.

I suppose that you could argue that replacing a default value with an
actual value is "overriding", but its not like multiple .conf files
can override each other in some order as your question implied.