[Geany-Devel] Future of THANKS/contributors list inside help dialog

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Mar 9 14:55:21 UTC 2017

On 9 March 2017 at 23:56, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently we have apart of the git list itself two places where we have
> added contributors in past, but which look quiet orphaned nowadays:
>
> The contributors-dialog on Geany->Help:
>
> https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/src/about.c
>
> and the THANKS-file inside / of the source tree:
>
> https://github.com/geany/geany/blob/master/THANKS
>
> As we got a huge amount of contributors¹ all should get their kudos and
> now I'm wondering how we can go on in future with it. There are
> contributors for translations, code, documentation, community things
> like support, donations (money) etc.

It is certainly nice to acknowledge contributors, but for it not to be
a burden it has to be automated, otherwise just remove the hand
cranked lists and just say thank you to all contributors and list the
categories as you have done above.  And don't forget packagers and ...