[Geany-Devel] Fwd: Updating Geany doesn't update user's filetypes files

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Jun 26 00:22:38 UTC 2017

On 26 June 2017 at 09:03, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 2017-06-25 03:07 PM, Abel wrote:
>>>

>>> Which configuration in detail did you expect to be updated?
>>>

>> The filetypes files which contain the keywords definition for each
>> language. In particular, I was expecting to get the new keywords of
>> python3
>> highlighted once I updated Geany, but it didn't...
>>

> Hi,
>
> What would you expect to happen if you had added your own custom keywords in
> the filetypes file and Geany was to update it with the new Python 3
> keywords?

To be clear, this is INTENDED behaviour.

As Matthew says the filetype files in the users directory are the
users own, it would be rude of Geany to overwrite them, since users
likely want to keep changes they made.  Geany overwrites the system
filetype files only.  If you want to use that just delete the entries
in your user filetype files for the things you want to use the system
files for.  Or delete the user files if you have made no other
changes.