[Geany-Devel] [Test] Geany GTK3 Windows binaries for testing

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Mar 24 00:04:52 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-23 07:21 AM, Jiří Techet wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 9:02 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> here are new Windows installers for testing.
>> They are built from GIT master and this time against GTK3.
>>
>> There are two reasons for this:
>> - test Geany+GTK3 more on Windows
>> - there seems to be a bug in GTK2 on Windows with that very high
>> DPI/resolutions: on text input widgets (GTK ones and the Scintilla
>> widget) the mouse cursor gets very tiny.
>> This doesn't happen with GTK3.
>> Jiří showed me the bug and he knows more about the details.
>>

> Hi Enrico,
>
> nice - the mouse problem is solved in Gtk 3 for me but I think not so many
> users have an HiDPI screen so it's not so important. And if there are some
> more important problems with Gtk 3, better to stick with Gtk 2 for now.

I never had any mouse-related problems with GTK2, for what it's worth. I
have 4k monitor on Win10.

> Some problems I noticed with the Gtk 3 build:
> - any file dialog like File->Open, Project->open, File->Save as etc.
> crashes Geany on my machine
> - there's a bit strange shadow around the tooltips - see the attached
> screenshot
> - the Adwaita theme is just ugly (on any platform). Is there any Windows
> native-like theme for Gtk 3 (the one used for Gtk 2 builds is pretty good
> in this respect).

Yeah, +1, especially about Adwaita. It's so ugly I wouldn't even use
Geany on Windows anymore if I was stuck with that. I mentioned some of
the same in my mail about my installer generator script TODO[0].

I'm guessing the file dialog crash is a GTK+ bug related to architecture
(sizeof(long) or such), since it seems to only happens on 64-bit. I
think Thomas might have done some research on that issue.

[0]: https://www.mail-archive.com/devel@lists.geany.org/msg02624.html