[Geany-Devel] [Test] Geany GTK3 Windows binaries for testing

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Jun 23 19:55:18 UTC 2016

On 23/06/16 18:24, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Hey!
>
> Le 23/06/2016 à 17:28, Jiří Techet a écrit :
>> Hi Enrico,
>>
>> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de
>> <mailto:enrico.troeger at uvena.de>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi all,
>>
>>     in preparation of the upcoming release, I renewed the test installers:
>>
>>     http://download.geany.org/snapshots/geany-1.28nightly20160617_setup.exe
>>     http://download.geany.org/snapshots/geany-plugins-1.28nightly20160617_setup.exe
>
> Nice!  Didn't test yet, but still nice.
>
>>     There is still the ugly Adwaita theme.
>>     I didn't and I won't play with themes. If someone wants a specific
>>     alternative theme included and enabled and there is some general
>>     agreement, I'm fine with it.
>
> Maybe we should just wait a little further, apparently in 3.22 (?) they
> work on some Windows theming and integration.
>

>>     But I noticed a new bug:
>>     with each start of Geany, the messages window will be shown a little
>>     lower and at some point it is finally hidden because its position is at
>>     or below the status bar.
>>     No idea what is causing this, GTK3 is always surprising as it seems.
>
> Hum, interesting, we did have such a report one day, but I never was
> able to find out what was doing it.
> https://sourceforge.net/p/geany/bugs/634/  But that was GTK2 and the
> other direction (editor shrinking).
>
>>     We should decide soon whether we want to use GTK2 or GTK3 based Windows
>>     release binaries.
>>

>> I would say that if there aren't any advantages of the GTK3 build (and
>> in contrary, there seem to be some issues), it's better to stick with GTK2.
>
> Agreed, seems more reasonable to stick to something that works,
> especially if GTK3 doesn't give us something important.

IIRC the reason why we started playing with GTK3 on Windows was the
HiDPI issue with GTK2.

Though Jiří already said in March, it's probably not so important and
better to go with GTK2 as long as there are issues with GTK3.

So, I'd say also let's use GTK2 for the upcoming release and we'll say
what happens post-1.28.

GTK2 test installers will follow either later today or at the weekend.