[Geany-Devel] Commander enhancements (was: Re: Plugins)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Fri Jul 22 13:26:10 UTC 2016

Le 22/07/2016 à 14:03, Vasiliy Faronov a écrit :
> Colomban Wendling's Commander plugin [1] also supports switching
> between open files, even though this is not documented.

Yeah documentation could be improved indeed.

> However, to
> limit Commander to display *only* the files, you have to type an "f:"
> prefix (likewise "c:" for menu items). Personally I find this
> cumbersome, so I use a straightforward patch that adds keybindings for
> limited modes (not sending this upstream yet because it needs more UI
> work).

You could have a keybinding that just popups the dialog like normal, but
pre-fills it with the appropriate prefix.  Shouldn't be too much change
and virtually no UI rework.

I just created https://github.com/geany/geany-plugins/pull/468, seems
straightforward enough :)

> Colomban, do you think these two features -- symbols from the current
> document, and keybindings for limited modes -- would be good to have
> in Commander?

Sure, they seem useful.

About symbols, at some point I wanted to have a mode showing all symbols
form the workspace (not only current file), but a simple implementation
was way too slow with a large number of files.
Probably for one single file it'd be alright; otherwise, a more complex
but probably more efficient approach could be dynamically searching for
matches instead of building the list and filtering it.  But that
requires large rework.

Also, just one thing: adding new dynamic elements might require making
sure it doesn't get too much in the way of other matches.  I mean that
for example, out of habit I now expect some short "commands" to do
something particular, and would be a little annoyed if they didn't work
because something else matched.  But well, that doesn't have to stop
innovation either, so it's a matter of balance.
Though, with automatic filtering it becomes less of a problem, as it
becomes very easy to filter a particular category, and things in other
categories then won't conflict :)

Regards,
Colomban