[Geany-Devel] [FT-plugins] Allowing plugins to supply filetype specific functionality

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Aug 27 16:25:36 UTC 2016

On 2016-08-27 03:13 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 27/08/2016 à 06:17, Lex Trotman a écrit :
>> [...]
>>
>> Yes, and might be even simpler if it can take advantage of any of the
>> new plugin capabilities.  IIRC filetypes are never unloaded after
>> shouldn't even show in the PM, or show as not user removable.
>
> IMO this is kind of unrelated to the issue at hand.  Yeah it *might* be
> nice to auto-load/auto-unload filetype plugins when staring using the
> filetype, but it's much more of a toy than an actual important design
> piece if it loads normal plugins (which it probably should, unless
> proven otherwise).
> My point is that it adds extra complexity to an already complex-enough
> issue, seem kinda orthogonal, and only removes the need to manually
> check a plugin in the PM dialog.

It's true that at least initially we could just ignore the loading part
and do it manually for testing purposes. We could still figure out how a
plugin would tell Geany what it provides for what filetypes without
mechanism for this.

> And it's even a complex issue, because you still need to let the users
> chose not to load those plugins if they don't want them, etc.

If we went the filetype-based loader route, the user would choose in the
filetype configuration files (or possibly by some future GUI) which
plugins to provide support for which filetypes features.