[Geany-Devel] Integrate ESLint into Geany

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Aug 10 22:06:35 UTC 2016

Hi,

Le 10/08/2016 à 23:58, Abel a écrit :
> Hi!
>
> I'd like to use ESLint <http://eslint.org> inside Geany. I've seen many
> integrations with differents editors in their website. Are you aware of
> any current implementation for this lint or any similar? Do you think
> that it would be possible to integrate it with Geany (as a plugin of
> course)? How much effort would it need? And, the final question, which
> languages did Geany support to develop plugins again?

If it provides a command-line interface (which it seems), you likely can
call it as a build command (see the manual).  Using a linter as a build
command is very easy: just configure the build command appropriately.
There already are a few filtypes that come with a linter configured --
including JavaScript, using jshint -- so you can base yours on that.

Complexity for making it a plugin (so potentially getting more 'live'
feedback) will highly depend on whether that thing has an API, and how
it works.  Also, for the moment you pretty much need to write Geany
plugins in C or C++, although Thomas' Peasy plugin [1] adds support for
several languages (include JS I'd believe), and it's getting closer to
stability.

But no, I'm not aware of anyone having already written something with
this eslint thing.

Cheers,
Colomban

[1] https://github.com/kugel-/peasy/