[Geany-Devel] Msys2 to compile on win32

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Fri May 29 09:00:52 UTC 2015

Hello,

I've successfully managed to build Geany on MSYS2, against both gtk2 and
gtk3. I've started to describe the steps on the wiki:
https://wiki.geany.org/howtos/win32/msys2, however the page is not
complete yet (but complete enough to produce a running geany).

Short introduction, see the wiki page for more details:

Msys2 is a successor to msys which offers a unix-like environment on
Windows combined with a pacman-based package manager. It's purpose is to
simplify win32 compilations, and it's doing great at that for GTK+ stack
and related projects. In fact, it's so good it should become the default
method of compiling Geany on Windows.

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/msys2/ and http://msys2.github.io/

For me, as regular Arch Linux user, this is by far the most easiest
method to compile Geany on Windows. And it has the *huge* advantage of
providing up-to-date binaries of the GTK+ stack, in contrast to the
obsolete gtk bundles. I heard the GTK guys plan on removing the bundles
and instead rely solely on MSYS2 for all of their win32 efforts.

Best regards