[Geany-Devel] Spawn module API

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Jun 23 20:40:57 UTC 2015

On 24 June 2015 at 02:04, Dimitar Zhekov <dimitar.zhekov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23.6.2015 г. 02:25, Matthew Brush wrote:
>
>> [...]
>

> One thing I forgot: the plugin API currently exports utils_spawn_[a]sync,
> and a few plugins use utils_spawn_sync. These functions were (partially
> correct) wrappers around the old glib/win32 spawn, and are now wrappers
> around spawn_[a]sync. Someday, in the distant future, they should be
> obsoleted...
>
>> I get what you're saying but I also
>> feel uneasy about blanket exporting of APIs with no current users of it,
>> so we don't know exactly what really needs to be exported.

In a previous post Dimitar has listed the API he requests for his
plugin, so that (at least) should be made available in 1.25.  It is
spurious to make him and therefore any potential windows users wait
for another release cycle.

> Well, with nothing from spawn exported, we can be pretty sure that all
> plugins _will_ be using utils_spawn and g_spawn instead. :)

Yes, the argument that nothing uses it is also spurious given the API
only just came into existence.