[Geany-Devel] Msys2 to compile on win32

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Jun 14 16:26:58 UTC 2015

On 14/06/15 17:49, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 14.06.2015 um 17:44 schrieb Enrico Tröger:

>>> Okay, I managed to create an installer for a Geany GTK3 build. \o/
>> Woohoo!
>> Great.
>>

>>> Some additional observerations:
>> [...]
>>
>>> - the installer wrongly reports that it ships GTK 2.24
>> Did you update geany.nsi?
>
> Nope

This is why :).
I thought a couple of times of making geany.nsi.in and
geany_private.rc.in and fill in the version number automatically. But I
never was annoyed enough to fiddle with the 4-part version numbers used
there. Maybe you are :).

>>> - the installer geany lacks some icons
>> Which? Why?
>
> Most icons are missing actually, such as open, save on the toolbar.

This is probably because Geany is compiled by autotools with the Unix
like path layout but the installer creates our custom Windows layout and
so Geany simply looks at the wrong location.

Please have a look at the following macros:
PREFIX
LIBDIR
LOCALEDIR
DATADIR

Especially PREFIX and DATADIR should be relevant.
These are set by Waf quite different on Windows than on Unix environments.
Again, this is the decision whether we want to keep the current
directory layout or switch to something Unix like.
And so, either adjust the installer or the compiled in paths.

>>> - the installer geany runs slow because gtk/glib spam a console window
>> During installation or when running Geany after installation?
>> Did you start Geany with -v from the CLI?
>>

> When running, I launched it via the Windows explorer (double click
> geany.exe). This and the lacking icons don't happen when running the
> make install'd geany.

I have no idea about the console window. There is some magic code which
opens a console window on Windows in src/win.32 but basically only when
Geany is started with -v.
For the icons, see above.

> BTW: Another observation I missed to mention: On autotools our .dll is
> libgeany.dll not geany.dll

With Waf it is actually geany-0.dll.
But except for the installer, it should not make any difference, right?
I don't mind which one we will use. In the end, I hope we will only have
one build system, i.e. no more Waf, and so the name doesn't matter, I guess.
Oh, while writing, I think of the linker. Does the msys2 linker handle
libgeany.dll properly when using '-lgeany' as specific in the pkgconfig
file? It works at least with the Mingw linker and Waf.