[Geany-Devel] pull request on GitHub, to add GeanyHighlightSelectedWords, into Geany Plugins

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Jun 1 14:09:36 UTC 2015

Le 01/06/2015 15:48, Steven Blatnick a écrit :
> […]
>
> Odd, I don't see this reply from Marius in my inbox.  Was this in
> private separately?

No, it was sent to the mailing list just like the rest…  maybe a spam
filter got confused?

>> […]
>>
>> BTW, @Steven: search_find_text() is *NOT* part of the Geany plugin API
>> and never have been.  The fact you can use it is a issue of the way
>> Geany API was exported, and it is fixed in the dev version (meaning it
>> won't work anymore).  Not also that this never worked on Windows.

> Thanks for the information.  I wonder if any of my other plugins include
> non-API calls.  Is there an easy way to tell what is allowed and what
> shouldn't be?

Anything not in the API documentation shouldn't be used.  And as said
the current Geany development version (1.25) has this fixed so you
plugin shouldn't load anymore if it uses something it shouldn't.

> Is there a reason we don't allow plugins to tie into
> anything when they could besides trying to stop plugins from being
> overtly complicated or breaking things?

The reason is that we don't want to break the API every few minutes, so
this means it has to be defined.  This can't reasonably include every
function in Geany, as it would basically mean we can't change anything
inside Geany without potentially breaking plugins.

So we choose what to render public (based on needs basically), and we
then commit to maintain this API (to a reasonable extent, at least,
meaning we will only change it if there is an important reason to).

To use the example of search_find_text() as how non-API things can
change, this function actually changed in the 1.24 cycle [1] to fix a
real problem.

All this said, if you need a function that isn't part of the API, ask
(or make a PR!) and we'll probably be happy to add it if it makes sense.

Regards,
Colomban

[1]
http://git.geany.org/geany/commit/?id=5412a244ba903624053cdaf7393732bc3af689ea