[Geany-Devel] RFC: New Custom Filetypes Repository

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Dec 21 01:30:01 UTC 2015

Hi Matt and all,

On 20/12/15 17:58, Devyn Collier Johnson wrote:

> On 12/19/2015 09:11 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We often get contributions for adding custom filetypes to Geany, and
>> we even have some in the source tree already. We tend to not want to
>> add them to Geany repo, usually due to limited functionality, or
>> limited popularity.
>>
>> I would like to propose that we add a new repository to Github,
>> similar to geany-themes, where we add any custom filetypes that are
>> useful, but perhaps aren't up to par or popular enough to add to Geany
>> proper. This would give a single place to get them all at once (via
>> Git or Github Zip file download), and also a repo for packagers to use
>> should they want to provide a package.
>>
>> Inside the repo we could have the README or some other file cataloging
>> all the filetypes, along with who contributed them, their status, like
>> whether tag parsing works, syntax lexing, and such meta info. As a
>> start, we could add all of the filetypes from the Wiki[0], any useful
>> ones from pull requests, and even any questionable ones already in
>> Geany (if there are any). We could also add some shell script or
>> something to install them into a user's home dir all at once, if
>> that's useful.
>>
>> What do you think?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matthew Brush
>>
>> [0]: http://wiki.geany.org/config/start
>
> I love your idea Matthew Brush.

Me too!
This should ease handling additional filetype configurations, enable
more people to easily to contribute to them and finally make changes
more visible and traceable.

For the license topic:
as the rest of us, I'm not a lawyer as well. In my opinion, it should
suffice to put configuration files under GPLv2+ (as Geany itself) and as
Lex stated, put a short license header in each config file to make this
obvious.