[Geany-Devel] Linkage-Cleanup Build System Breakage

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Oct 29 05:48:29 UTC 2014

On 14-10-26 04:16 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On 26/10/14 18:25, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> On 14-10-26 07:14 AM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>>> [snip]

>>> The Win32 nightlies are built using Waf, so fixing Waf will fix it all
>>> :).
>>>

>> I thought the nightlies were using Mingw because there's all those
>> duplicate code paths in the Makefile.ams for Mingw. Who uses those?
>
> We added those years ago to support cross-compilation. IIRC this was
> before Waf.
> Yeah, we really should consolidate the available build systems and clean
> up the rest :).
> I don't use autotools based cross-compilation.

I had a try at this for a while and after a number of changes it's
almost working. I got past the build system, compiler, and linker
problems, but now it's giving grief because of the "non-standard" (with
respect to Autotools) directory layout and the special cases we have
about using a "data" directory instead of putting in "share/geany".

Is there any possibility we could use the same Unixey directory layout
for Win32 builds too?

My dream is in some distant future to have the Autotools build system
able to build natively and cross-compiled and adding rules needed to
make the Windows installer and everything. This would also be great for
continuous integration and/or nightly builds in the future too, as we
would mostly have the exact same build system with the same
compiler/linker options and only minor differences to satisfy the
differences between platforms.

Just think of how much easier it would be if at release time all you had
to do was:

     make dist-win32

And just upload the resulting installer .exe[0] :)

[0]: Which would be the exact same installer .exe everyone's been
testing with from the CI/nightlies all along.