[Geany-Devel] Infobar file deleted/renamed behaviour

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu Oct 23 00:53:23 UTC 2014

Hi All,

Since there's some discussion about infobar behaviour, I thought I'd
mention a couple things I've noticed using it in my day-to-day workflow.

When you delete a file from disk, and then assuming the infobar kicked
in (see below), it pops up the infobar as expected. The problem is that
there's no quick way to say "Ya, ya, I deleted that on purpose, just
close the file". IMO, there should be a "Close" button on the infobar
that allows you to bypass the redundant dialog that pops up when trying
to close a document that you've been notified about, for example:

File "foo.txt" was not found on disk    [Resave][Dismiss][Close]
<Some different message here>

Clicking the proposed [Close] button would have the same effect as what
currently requires two steps; clicking the tab close button or Close
menu item and then clicking the "Don't Save" button in the dialog that
pops up.

Does that sound reasonable?

The other thing I wondered is, should we not do a "disk check" on a file
that hasn't been switched to when it's being closed? I mean we do the
check and show the infobar on tab-switch (due to lacking proper/usable
inotify support), but if the user doesn't actually switch to the tab,
then we just close the file without any warning that the buffer in that
document has no disk file anymore and closing it will lose those
contents forever.

Thoughts?