[Geany-Devel] Infobar file deleted/renamed behaviour

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Oct 23 01:53:27 UTC 2014

On 23 October 2014 11:53, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Since there's some discussion about infobar behaviour, I thought I'd mention
> a couple things I've noticed using it in my day-to-day workflow.
>
> When you delete a file from disk, and then assuming the infobar kicked in
> (see below), it pops up the infobar as expected. The problem is that there's
> no quick way to say "Ya, ya, I deleted that on purpose, just close the
> file". IMO, there should be a "Close" button on the infobar that allows you
> to bypass the redundant dialog that pops up when trying to close a document
> that you've been notified about, for example:

> File "foo.txt" was not found on disk    [Resave][Dismiss][Close]
> <Some different message here>
>
> Clicking the proposed [Close] button would have the same effect as what
> currently requires two steps; clicking the tab close button or Close menu
> item and then clicking the "Don't Save" button in the dialog that pops up.
>
> Does that sound reasonable?

Yes, would just ask for some space between dismiss and close for those
with bad aim (like me :)
BTW which is default (if any)?

> The other thing I wondered is, should we not do a "disk check" on a file
> that hasn't been switched to when it's being closed? I mean we do the check
> and show the infobar on tab-switch (due to lacking proper/usable inotify
> support), but if the user doesn't actually switch to the tab, then we just
> close the file without any warning that the buffer in that document has no
> disk file anymore and closing it will lose those contents forever.

Sounds like a sensible safe default behaviour, but with a various pref
to turn it off for those whose workflow makes it *really* annoying.