[Geany-Devel] Proxy Plugins Update

Steven Blatnick steve8track at xxxxx
Fri Nov 14 04:04:39 UTC 2014

Yes, I have several plugins at
https://github.com/sblatnick/geany-plugins, but haven't gotten around to
submitting a pull request to geany-plugins, mainly because I need to
take the time to figure out how to integrate with the build system.

I realize some will think my plugins are partially redundant in
functionality to what geany already offers, but I still prefer to use
them as they do things a little differently in the ways I prefer.

Here is a brief description of the plugins I've got with some
screenshots, many of which are just features I missed from gedit:

 1. *external-tools* = Allow running virtually any script, passing in
    environment variables and gives the option to return output in
    multiple ways like in the bottom panel, replace highlighted text, or
    output to nothing.  Gedit had this feature, and I missed it as it
    allows for some incredible flexibility to quickly write little
    macros in any language I want and make plugins on the fly.  I have
    plans to add a table output for CSV or tab delimited output to go
    into in the bottom bar too. Notice you can integrate meld and other
    tools now, just with a simple bash script.
    Tools configuration:
    	Dynamically added shortcuts based on tools:
    Tool output panel:

    	Menu entries created for tools (we could add toolbar buttons too
    later):

 2. *hide-menu* = Hides the menu bar until you hover over it, like the
    start bar in windows.  Ideally, I'd rather move everything to a
    compact menu, but I didn't find a place for it when the toolbar is
    on the menubar.  (Note the narrow horizontal line which when hovered
    over, activates the menu's visibility)

 3. *quick-find* = Adds a side panel find in files search harnessing
    ack-grep instead of grep.  I know you can change what search command
    you use in geany, but I like a few things about this file searching:
     1. keeps focus on the search output, so you can just use the arrows
        to select between the results
     2. faster than grep
     3. on the side panel, it gives you more space to just see a
        vertical list
    Quick Find panel:
    	Configurable shortcut:

 4. *quick-line* = Similar to the toolbar goto line, but in a quick
    dialog-less pop-up, consuming no space on the toolbar

    Mini, borderless window for line navigation:
    	Configurable shortcut:

 5. *quick-opener* = quick dialog for finding any file by regex as you
    type.  You can use the keyboard to select the entries that appear.
    I need to still make it so you can select more than one.
    Open dialog:
    	Plugin settings:
    Configurable shortcut:

 6. *quick-search* = Inline incremental search that highlights separate
    from the toolbar and the find dialog, and even the "Addons" double
    click highlight plugin.  like quick-line, it doesn't take any space
    in a dialog-less pop-up always in the top right of the document.  It
    searches as you type.  Then use the shortcuts to quickly navigate
    between the results.

    Mini borderless window with an incremental search:

    	Configurable shortcuts:

They're fairly functional, although there may be some quirks to work
out, but I use them every day.

Thanks,

Steve