[Geany-Devel] Linkage-Cleanup Build System Breakage

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Nov 9 15:28:20 UTC 2014

On 29/10/14 06:48, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 14-10-26 04:16 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:

>>> I thought the nightlies were using Mingw because there's all those
>>> duplicate code paths in the Makefile.ams for Mingw. Who uses those?
>>
>> We added those years ago to support cross-compilation. IIRC this was
>> before Waf.
>> Yeah, we really should consolidate the available build systems and clean
>> up the rest :).
>> I don't use autotools based cross-compilation.
>>

> I had a try at this for a while and after a number of changes it's
> almost working. I got past the build system, compiler, and linker
> problems, but now it's giving grief because of the "non-standard" (with
> respect to Autotools) directory layout and the special cases we have
> about using a "data" directory instead of putting in "share/geany".
>
> Is there any possibility we could use the same Unixey directory layout
> for Win32 builds too?

I guess so without having it well thought out.
It would be nice indeed.

> My dream is in some distant future to have the Autotools build system
> able to build natively and cross-compiled and adding rules needed to
> make the Windows installer and everything. This would also be great for
> continuous integration and/or nightly builds in the future too, as we
> would mostly have the exact same build system with the same
> compiler/linker options and only minor differences to satisfy the
> differences between platforms.

That sounds really sweet and would ease development and releasing but
would require quite some work before to get it working.