[Geany-Devel] [RFC]: Public API comments in headers

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Thu May 29 19:43:29 UTC 2014

On 14-05-29 12:33 PM, Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Am 29.05.2014 21:21, schrieb Matthew Brush:

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I can't say I feel overly strong but my experience is that when
>>> implementation and comments are split that they begin to drift apart
>>> sooner or later. I suggest keeping things as they are unless there is a
>>> compelling technical advantage. We do a half decent job at documentation
>>> (which is better than 90% of other FOSS projects) and we should not risk
>>> that.
>>>

>> I agree somewhat, but it's actually not very hard to open the related
>> header and check when changing the code, especially since often
>> changing the API documentation means adding a new function, or
>> changing the semantics/signatures of a function, or adding/changing a
>> structure/type, which all requires editing the header anyway, so it's
>> actually not really much extra work.
>>

> It's not hard but it'll be still be forgotten/missed. We're just human
> beings.

But if you can forget it when you're editing the function/type
declaration, why can't you forget it when you're editing the function
definition? I just mean, either way, you need to look at the
function/type and either update the comment or not, regardless where
it's placed. Plus having a little comment or macro that hints that the
function is public as discussed in the other messages would provide a
bit of backup for people who aren't very conscious about whether they're
editing public API or keeping the docs in sync.

>> As far as technical advantage, it causes less misleading comments in
>> the source (eg. documenting `@file foo.h` in the foo.c source file),
>> avoids users having to get a copy of the Doxygen docs for the correct
>> version, and finally to keep all the public API comments in the same
>> public header file, instead of the current way where types (structs,
>> typedefs, etc.) are necessarily documented in the header, but
>> functions are documented in the internal non-installed source files.
>>

> Neither of those are technical or (IMO) compelling.

Ok, not super technical, but more compelling than "I'm too lazy to open
the header file/update the documentation if it's not directly above one
place I edit (instead of the other place I most likely have to edit)" :)