[Geany-Devel] Another set of Plugin API questions

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon May 26 00:49:50 UTC 2014

On 14-05-25 05:16 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> On 26 May 2014 09:38, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>
>> Another example is `filetype_id` which is the enum type in `filetypes.h`
>> that holds the various filetype IDs (ex. GEANY_FILETYPES_C,
>> GEANY_FILETYPES_HTML, etc.). It's completely undocumented, but is used (as
>> gint type) in functions such as `filetypes_index()`. Is it fair to say this
>> whole enum is private, or should it rather be considered public since it was
>> exposed to plugins via the include of `filetypes.h` in `geanyplugin.h`?
>
> Again sounds like its a mistake, since the example for
> `filetypes_index()` uses `GEANY_FILETYPES_C`.  At least the enum
> should be documented.  A lazy person like me would say "the enum
> members are part of the API, even though they are not individually
> documented since their use is obvious" in that documentation.

IMO, we could just stick some empty/dummy `/**! */` comments after the
enumerators if they are indeed public and their meaning is obvious (or
whatever trick to get Doxygen to recognize them).