[Geany-Devel] The (mostly windows) spawning fix

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Thu May 22 17:48:38 UTC 2014

On Wed, 21 May 2014 11:19:40 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> On 14-05-21 11:02 AM, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Now that Geany 1.24[.1] is out, will we apply $subject? [1] [2]
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/geany/geany/pull/274
> > [2] http://sourceforge.net/p/geany/bugs/943/?page=3
>
> I like it overall, and especially deleting 1000 lines of code :),
> although it's really massive - and so hard to review - since the whole
> thing is in one commit (maybe for good reason, I don't know).

That's logically one change. I guess it can be split into spawn.[ch]
plus the changes to the build systems to include the spawn module, and
the changes to the other .c modules, but am not sure what good will that
do... It's simply big.

Now, anyone can test split.[ch] separately by downloading the SF zip,
unpacking it into a separate directory and compiling it with 'make spawn
emit' (for *nix) - that'll generate test program 'spawn' (look at
spawn.c:main() to see what tests are available), and a helper 'emit'
which reads from stdin (option, -i) and writes to stderr and to stdout
(option, -o). For win32, you need to set the glib/gtk+ directory in the
Makefile and run 'make' without arguments. Geany is *not* required.

> One thing I couldn't figure out is why the Makefile.am and wscript (but
> not makefile.win32) adds files called spawn.[ch] but they don't show up
> in the commit/repo. Did you miss a `git add` command?

My mistake, I haven't used makefile.win32 from a long time. Fixed it
(not tested, hopefully I can write 8 characters without an error),
and also moved spawn to the last position in src/Makefile.am and
wscript, since it doesn't depend on anything (tested, builds).

--
E-gards: Jimmy