[Geany-Devel] RFC: Proxy plugins

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Wed May 21 17:30:04 UTC 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014 15:10:27 +1000
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only questions I have on libpeas is:
>
> 1. what changes it requires in Geany to make Geany keybindings usable
> from libpeas loaded plugins

For the current C plugins, replacing PLUGIN_KEY_GROUP() [deprecated
since 0.19] with calls to plugin_set_key_group() and
keybindings_set_item(). That's 9 plugins (including my geanyinsertnum,
gee), trivial change, doesn't break anything.

For geanypy, you should know better than me. The documentation mentions
that "Currently using keybindings requires [...] hackery, due to Geany
expecting all plugins to be shared libraries written in C".

For the plugins to come, it's a matter of how we pass keyboard callbacks
to the core, not how we load them.

> 2. the effort to incorporate it into the existing PM.

Depends on what you call "incorporate". Replacing the loader is
probably a matter of two days at most. After that, plugin_help() should
be replaced with automatic helper (peas plugins have help URL), and the
other g_module_symbol()-loaded functions should be replaced with
function calls from the plugin, or with peas extensions
(g_module_symbol() won't work for non-C languages anyway).

--
E-gards: Jimmy