[Geany-Devel] Strange segfault while replacing autoclose.so plugin library

Pavel Roschin roshin at xxxxx
Thu May 1 20:24:42 UTC 2014

> I often rebuild my plugin to test it and replace old version of library with
> just compiled library object. But Geany crashes after that in first touch.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> 1. Copy autoclose.so into ~/.config/geany/plugins
> 2. Open Geany
> 3. Copy autoclose.so into ~/.config/geany/plugins again
> 4. Focus on Geany
> 5. You're gonna the crash!
>
> Note you *shouldn't* even re-compile plugin or something.
>
> This is a backtrace:
> https://gist.github.com/scriptum/657dd4057c8de2d86fb1
>
> As you see, a crash comes from my plugin. I don't check variables against NULL
> and I'm doint it intentionally assuming that Geany never sends NULL in events.
> But actually it crashes at static variable access:
> 	if (!ac_info->jump_on_tab)
> 		return;
>
> Here strace report, not very interesting:
> https://gist.github.com/scriptum/e24388dd676e5717bb42
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Pavel Roschin aka RPG

Well, here is an answer:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/74165/how-to-upgrade-shared-library-without-crash

Possible solution - rm, then cp (in this case library will not be replaced
until new instance of editor will be started).

--
Best regards,
Pavel Roschin aka RPG