[Geany-Devel] Spellcheck plugin doesn't work with enchant

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Mar 2 22:05:07 UTC 2014

Hi,

>>> Any thoughts on how I might overcome this problem?
>>
>> Could you try on the command line the following command:
>>
>> # enchant-lsmod
>>

> Here's the output:
>
> # enchant-lsmod
> aspell (Aspell Provider)
> ispell (Ispell Provider)
> myspell (Myspell Provider)

that's fine.

>> to check if Enchant knows its engines? This command should output a few
>> engines installed on the system (e.g. "hspell (Hspell Provider)").
>>
>> And please try:
>>
>> # echo "hllo" | enchant -a -d en_US
>>
>> that should output a list of alternative spellings for "hllo".
>
> # echo "hllo" | enchant -a -d en_US
> @(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Enchant 1.6.0)
> Couldn't create a dictionary for en_US
>
> This was interesting to me. Because when I chose
> /usr/share/dict
> in the dictionary field for the plugin, the plugin still complained about
> no enchant lib.

Hmm, to be honest I'm not sure whether the dictionary path setting works
at all on Unix-like systems. IIRC only one engine (myspell) implemented
this feature at all and is mostly important on Windows. On Unix-like
systems enchant usually finds its dictionaries in common or compiled in
paths (things like FHS are a great thing).

Anyway, the above error "Couldn't create a dictionary for en_US" is the
key. Your dictionaries are installed in /usr/share/dict?
It seems for some reason, the engines (ispell, aspell, myspell) don't
search in this path or they don't find usable dictionaries in this path.

Could you maybe strace the above enchant command to get an idea where it
does look for the dictionary files?
I suspect a simple path problem here.

Is there anything special in your setup? I can't imagine enchant/*spell
doesn't work out-of-the-box on a FreeBSD system.