[Geany-Devel] Proxy Plugins Update

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Fri Jul 11 23:35:05 UTC 2014

On 12 July 2014 09:25, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> On 14-07-11 01:25 PM, Thomas Martitz wrote:

>>> Nice.

>>> If using libpeas really requires having a modified version of it lying
>>> in our code, I'm not convinced it's a great idea.
>>>

>> It's because we require modifications to it for backwards compat, this
>> way we could maintain ABI and API stability across a transition to
>> libpeas. We can drop it from our source after the transition period
>> and/or convince upstream to accept rather geany-specific code (unlikely).
>>
>> Another issue is that upstream libpeas tends to require recent glib/gtk
>> versions even when not justified. The fork would allow us to lower the
>> glib/gtk requirements.
>>

> If they're not justified, then why not provide upstream with a patch that
> lowers them to minimum version required?
>
>> libpeas is tiny, and is not actively developed (one can consider the
>> project mostly done). So I don't think it's a big deal really. On the
>> other concept of libpeas does provide a lot of benefits so it's worth it
>> IMO.
>>
>> What alternatives can you propose?

Thomas,

As I understand it you only need to bundle peas to be able to add the
backward compatible loader?

If that is going to be for a limited deprecation period (say two
release periods after the peas version is released) then it is
reasonable to argue that the changes to libpeas are Geany specific,
for a limited period and not worth pushing upstream.

Although Fedora are well known to be strict on this, that is one of
their acceptable reasons.