[Geany-Devel] Proxy Plugins Update

Thomas Martitz kugel at xxxxx
Sat Jul 12 07:25:21 UTC 2014

Am 12.07.2014 01:35, schrieb Lex Trotman:
> On 12 July 2014 09:25, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

>>> It's because we require modifications to it for backwards compat, this
>>> way we could maintain ABI and API stability across a transition to
>>> libpeas. We can drop it from our source after the transition period
>>> and/or convince upstream to accept rather geany-specific code (unlikely).
>>>
>>> Another issue is that upstream libpeas tends to require recent glib/gtk
>>> versions even when not justified. The fork would allow us to lower the
>>> glib/gtk requirements.
>>>
>> If they're not justified, then why not provide upstream with a patch that
>> lowers them to minimum version required?
>>
>>> libpeas is tiny, and is not actively developed (one can consider the
>>> project mostly done). So I don't think it's a big deal really. On the
>>> other concept of libpeas does provide a lot of benefits so it's worth it
>>> IMO.
>>>
>>> What alternatives can you propose?
>>>
> Thomas,
>
> As I understand it you only need to bundle peas to be able to add the
> backward compatible loader?

Yes.

> If that is going to be for a limited deprecation period (say two
> release periods after the peas version is released) then it is
> reasonable to argue that the changes to libpeas are Geany specific,
> for a limited period and not worth pushing upstream.

The changes would be very geany specific, although the first one
(supporting plugins that are not described by a .plugin file) can
perhaps be made generic in some way. But the loader is always going to
be highly Geany specific, and I don't think it would be accepted by
upstream, seeing that they even dropped a java script loader that is not
app-specific.

But yea, but I didn't ask yet either. This is in part because the last
mailing list activity is from 2012 which didn't receive any response.

I'd like to remember you about another point: Even if libpeas would
accept all our modifictions like tomorrow, Geany realistically couldn't
depend on it for the near future anyway (too new). By the time we can
depend on it, i.e. when it lands in the current enterprise distros (REHL
will probably only have it by RHEL 8), we probably don't even need to
modifications anymore. This is the main reason that I don't think it's
worth even trying to push the changes upstream: we wouldn't be able to
use that upstream for a few years, and once we can we don't need these
changes anymore.

Best regards.