[Geany-Devel] Geany 1.23 Waf install under win32

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Thu Apr 10 22:16:41 UTC 2014

On 16/06/13 20:37, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:59:14 +0200
> Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de> wrote:
>
>> On 06/16/13 15:11, Dimitar Zhekov wrote:
>>>
>>> - no header fiels are installed, or maybe they are copied somewhere
>>> outside the $prefix. Copying the headers manually is OK.
>>
>> This is on purpose.
>> For development, I use a custom script to copy the headers. However, we
>> could add a custom action to Waf to copy/install the headers somewhere.
>> The question is where is 'somewhere' on Windows?
>
> Everything else is under $prefix, so why not in $prefix/include?
> Moreover, that's what the .pc file says.
>
>> IMO it doesn't make any sense to install the headers by default into the
>> resulting directory, as this is usually used to create a release
>> installer and this doesn't need headers.
>
> Any installer allows to specify what should be included and what not...
>
>> Would be a custom build action and maybe a destination path argument
>> helpful?
>
> ...but yes, such an action (install-devel?) will spare a few minutes.
>
>> Btw, the geany.pc is also not installed, so probably this should be done
>> in the same custom action.
>
> Wasn't it installed in $prefix/lib/pkgconfig or something? If not,
> install[-devel] should copy it.
>
>>> - geany.pc contains paths with single backslashes, and plugins build
>>> fails with "c:path1path2...: no such file or directory". Replacing
>>> with forward slashes works. All other .pc files I've checked under
>>> win32 use forward slashes.
>>
>> Are these paths used at all on Windows? At least for me the generated
>> .pc file worked fine so far.
>
> waf under win~1 requires pkg-config and really uses geany.pc, no doubt
> about that.
>
> If the headers are installed in/under some standard include directory,
> or a directory mentioned in another .pc file, that may work... or the
> backslash handling, or whether geany.pc file contains single or double
> backslashes, may depend on the python version... I don't know, really.
> In all cases, '/' is the safe bet, and all glib/atk/gdk/gtk...pc files
> use forward slashes under win~1.

I committed a few changes to install header files and geany.pc also on
Windows into $prefix when using Waf.

Additionally, I added a new section to the installer to optionally
install these files also, disabled by default.

The generated geany.pc file doesn't container any backslashes on my
system, only forward slashes.
However the prefix line looks like:

prefix=geany-1.24

So strictly this is rather invalid because it is just the temporary
prefix, not the real final installation destination.
Do you think this is relevant? For me, the prefix line never made a
difference, it seems pkg-config on Windows takes the path of the .pc
itself to look up the other files or it has even some more magic built-in.

If it is relevant, we maybe could change the path in the prefix line by
the installer on the fly.

In case you are curios to try, I uploaded a test build to
http://uvena.de/tmp/geany-1.24_setup_test.exe.